POSTED: JUNE 16, 2021
Gov. Andrew Cuomo has lifted all remaining COVID-19 mandates for yoga studios. He made the move yesterday in response to the incredible progress the state has made in the fight against COVID-19.
More than 70% of adult New Yorkers have now received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. As a result, new infections and hospitalizations continue to plummet. New York, once the epicenter of the global pandemic, now leads the nation with a positivity rate hovering around 0.5%.
While the pandemic isn’t completely over yet, this is a significant milestone in the fight against the deadly disease, and we are revising our COVID-19 policies accordingly.
- Filling out a health screening before class is no longer required. (Please continue to monitor your health for COVID-19 symptoms and be prepared to stay home when you feel sick — even if you are fully vaccinated.)
- Communal blankets are once again available during class.
- Classes will increase to 100% capacity.
- Advance registration is still encouraged, but no longer required.
The following elements of our original COVID-19 Safety Plan remain in place:
- Air purifiers running 24/7 in the practice rooms.
- Hand sanitizer stations throughout the studio.
- Cleaning and disinfection of mats, blocks, wheels and straps after class.
- Cleaning between classes.
Vaccination & Masks
Among the rules rescinded by Gov. Cuomo Tuesday was the requirement that unvaccinated people maintain 6 feet of social distance. This means our indoor classes can once again accommodate people who are not yet fully vaccinated.
However, because the CDC’s masking guidelines remain in effect, unvaccinated people still must wear face masks at all times inside the studio. (Masks remain optional for people who have provided proof of vaccination against COVID-19.)
If you have a medical condition that makes mask wearing too dangerous, you may instead wear a face shield. Bandanas, buffs and gaiters are not acceptable alternatives.